A storage unit is the perfect solution for periods of transition or to create extra space in your home. To ensure that your experience is as stress-free as possible, here are some planning tips and tricks to help you through the process.
When choosing a storage unit, you should consider:
- Location – The last thing you want when moving or accessing your unit is to have to drive miles out of your way.
- Cleanliness – Storing your valuables in a clean facility is of the utmost importance.
- Customer Service – Friendly employees can add a lot of value to your storage experience.
- Security – Will your valuables be safe? Is the facility gated? Who will be able to access the property?
- Size – Ensure that you have selected a unit that is large enough for your belongings, but not so large that you’re wasting money on unneeded space.
- Access – Do you need 24/7 access to your unit, or are you willing to work around posted business hours?
- Climate Control – Do you have delicate belongings that require a climate-controlled environment?
Preparing to store your belongings:
- Packing Supplies – The right supplies make any job easier. Consider buying things like cardboard boxes, tape, packing paper, bubble wrap, drop cloths, mattress bags, and plastic wrap.
- Plastic Containers – If you are planning to store moisture-sensitive items, invest in airtight plastic containers to prevent potential water damage.
- Cleaning – Cleaning your belongings before storing prevents damage while they are in storage. This is especially true for electronics and furniture.
- Fragile Items – Use plenty of bubble wrap, and label boxes containing fragile belongings to prevent accidental damage.
Storage unit packing tips:
- Heavy and/or Fragile Items – If stacked too high in your unit, fragile items are vulnerable to falls and breakage. Pack heavy items low in your unit so they do not crush the things under them.
- Use Your Vertical Space – With the exception of heavy or fragile items, you should stack your belongings as high as possible to maximize the space in your unit.
- Unit Packing Order – If you have anything that you’d like to access without unpacking your entire storage unit, remember to leave it near the front!
- Keys and Access Codes – Much like your bank account password, you should be careful about who you give access to your stored belongings.
- Purchase a Sturdy Lock – If you have to supply your own lock, spend a little extra for a more secure lock that prevents tampering.
Why Choose Extra Room Self Storage?
Extra Room Self Storage is your locally owned storage solution. Our team is dedicated to providing friendly service while helping customers conveniently store their belongings in our state-of-the-art, conveniently located facilities in Myrtle Beach, North Charleston, and Pawleys Island. You will have 24/7 access to our clean and secure storage facility, and each customer receives a personal access security code to enter the gate.
We offer affordable pricing for multiple sizes of units, as well as climate-controlled indoor storage and outdoor storage for vehicles and oversized items. We also have packing supplies on-site, and we offer MiniCo self-storage insurance to protect your valuables while they are in storage.
If you are in need of a high-quality storage solution for your belongings, call us at 854-854-1462 (Myrtle Beach), 843-405-2357 (North Charleston), or 843-894-4406 (Pawleys Island) to learn more about Extra Room Self Storage.